About The Advent Mission Fund
In 2009, the congregation of Advent Lutheran Church approved the Advent Mission Fund, whose initial funding came from a generous bequest from the estate of Jacob Moeller. The Advent Mission Fund seeks to provide long-term support of church and community ministries including:
- spreading the gospel by extending the social mission of the church;
- providing long-term mission support, and
- cultivating future generosity.
The Advent Mission Fund made its first distributions in 2010. The fund intends to grow through investments and additional gifts.
Mission Fund Application
Please note that the deadline for submitting a mission fund application has been permanently changed to April 15.
Mission Fund Application Timeline
Grant applications are accepted and considered once a year during the regular processing cycle and the optional backup cycle. Applications are accepted between February 1st and April 15th for the regular cycle and between July 1st and September 30th for the backup cycle. The backup cycle will take place at the sole discretion of Advent Lutheran Church if annual funds are not fully distributed during the regular cycle. Applicants turned down in the regular cycle are not eligible during the backup cycle.
The Mission Fund Committee must receive all grant applications by the April 15th deadline via mail delivery to Advent Lutheran Church. Exceptions or extensions will not be granted.
The Mission Fund Committee will review all applications to determine if they meet the grant criteria and will consider the amount of the funding request. Reviews from the Mission Fund Committee will be completed by May 15.
Selected applications will then be submitted to the Advent Lutheran Church Council for review and confirmation. Advent Lutheran Church Council’s confirmation and approval are anticipated by May 31.
Applicants will be notified of the decisions by early June.
Disbursements of funds for approved applications will be made by June 15th.
Advent Mission funds are distributed annually under five categories:
- Education and Mission Trips
- Lutheran Partners
- Crisis Recovery
- New Advent Ministry Initiatives (start up funds)
The Mission Fund Committee welcomes proposals from organizations that can effectively reach out to a community in need in one or more of these five categories.
Application proposals should be a minimum of $1,000, but not more than $20,000.
The total amount of funding available may vary each year. The amounts allocated to each category will also vary depending upon the number of approved applications, how well they meet the mission’s objectives, and other considerations from the Mission Fund Committee and the Advent Lutheran Church Council.
The Mission Fund Committee considers applications that:
- Reach out to those in need in one or more of the distribution categories,
- Encourage the personal involvement of Advent members
- Have received less than two (2) prior grants from the Advent Mission Fund
- Are sponsored by a tax exempt charitable organization
- Fit the mission of Advent Lutheran Church
Applications for on-going operating support, including salaries, will not be considered.
Grants will not be awarded in the names of individuals. All individuals must be sponsored by an established charitable organization.
The Mission Fund Committee seeks to learn about each organization, its hopes and plans. A review of financial needs and fiscal condition will be necessary as well. Each application package must consist of seven (7) full copies the following four (4) items. Submissions that do not include seven full application packages cannot be reviewed.
Download the Mission Fund Application. Note: If you received a grant in the prior funding cycle, in the previous accomplishments section please provide information about how the funds were used, challenges, and outcomes.
- Financial Budget and Plans
A detailed budget or financial plan for the current year and your proposed budget or financial plan for next year.
Note: The budget information is for the program receiving the grant, not the sponsoring organization.
- Business appendices
Proof of 501(c)(3) status
Copy of annual report
- Optional submission of pictures
Pictures (maximum of 2) that represent the activities of your project. Be sure to enclose the name of the organization and contact person with the photo
- As part of the Advent Mission Fund Committee review, the Committee may request a site visit.
- The Committee requires seven (7) complete sets of each application. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Each package should include the application, financial budget and plan, financial statements, and optional pictures. Other non-essential information or flyers should not be submitted.
- Application information should be presented in a continuous manner as displayed in the application form. Please do not create new application sections, add attachments that are not requested, or redirect the reader to look in other sections or documents for further information. The content of the printed form must use a standard 10pt Arial or 12pt Times New Roman font. The final application length must be no more than 4 printed pages. The Organization Name should appear at the bottom of each page.
- Double sided copies are encouraged.
- Mail the entire package within the application submission period to: Advent Lutheran Church, Attn: Advent Mission Fund Committee, 2504 Broadway, New York, NY 10025. Hand delivered packages will not be accepted, nor will applications submitted by email be reviewed.
- Be sure to title each section of the requested information with the application title/name. Failure to do so may make your application appear to be incomplete and thus rejected.
- You must submit all pages of your application on 8.5 x 11 inch paper.
- Questions about funding proposals may be directed to the Advent Mission Fund Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org
Mission Fund Grant Recipients
Recipients of Advent Mission Fund grants since 2010 include:
- Seafarers International House (http://sihnyc.org/)
- Interfaith Assembly on Homelessness and Housing (http://iahh.org/)
- Mwangaza Partnership for Education (http://mwangazapartnership.
- West Side Campaign Against Hunger (http://wscah.org/)
- Emmaus House of Harlem (http://www.emmaushouse-
- WHIN Music Project (https://whin.place.xyz/)
- Collateral Repair Project (http://www.
- Trinity Place Shelter (http://www.
- New City Kids (http://newcitykids.org/)
- ELCA Malaria Campaign (http://www.elca.org/malaria)
You may be interested in supporting or enhancing ministries through a gift to the Mission Fund. Please contact email@example.com. The committee can provide information about current giving as well as planned and future gifts.